Friday, October 28, 2011

I'm Back


Did you miss me? I missed you! I admit, I have been debating about whether to blog anymore. I even wrote a whole post about my dilemma. But, here I am. Obviously I resolved the quandary. Many thanks to a number of friends who encouraged me to keep going.  I will continue to share the ups AND the downs. Thank you for reading and for all of your support!

So, what’s new? Well, for starters, we’re officially starting IVF cycle 3. The injections resume on 11/1 - fun, fun, fun!.

We’re doing another frozen cycle, since we have one frozen embryo remaining, and it turns out that the Shared Risk agreement we signed says we have to use the frozen embryos before doing another fresh cycle. I wish I knew a lawyer who could review the agreement. Oh, wait. I’m a lawyer. Darn it. I must have skimmed that part.
On Monday we met with our new doctor (we're still with Shady Grove though).  To make a long story short, we were never very comfortable with our previous doctor. Let's just say that I always felt like she was speaking to us as though we were 12 years old. We met our new doctor at the last sonogram we had and although he had to deliver some really bad news, he didn't patronize us. We just got a really good vibe from him - which is pretty remarkable given the circumstances.

As he was talking to us, I was thinking "I really like this guy. It would be great if we could switch doctors." A few minutes later the doc made a little joke, and then apologized for "making light of the situation." The Knight told him it was absolutely fine and asked him if we could switch to him. Mind reader! The doc didn't really respond, so we didn't do anything.

Well, I realized that I needed to deal with the situation, despite the potential awkwardness, and ask to make the switch. I'm proud of myself for doing that. You know how it is. You don't want to break up with your hairdresser so you just keep going to her, despite the bad haircuts.

Now that it is done, I am relieved and happy with the decision.  Our meeting on Monday confirmed for both of us that we made the right choice. We are really on the same page with this doc. For example, back in August the previous doc suggested a number of tests. After a lot of discussion, we decided to refuse the tests.  It's a long story. Anyhow, when we brought these up to our new doctor, he said that he saw no need for the tests and if we wanted them we'd have to make a really good case to convince him to do them.

I share all of this to say that sometimes we need to suck it up and follow our guts.  The hard path can be worth it in the end.

I feel really good about our prospects going forward. We have about a 40-50% chance of success for this cycle, so keep those fingers crossed.

Finally, I feel like sharing an incredibly nice compliment I received in an email this morning. It said "I am still sending positive thoughts and prayers out to you guys for a future baby. I've never met anyone who seems more fit to be a mommy than you. And I truly mean that!!!" Thanks, M! You totally made my day!!!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a good feeling about this one. I am sure you will be sucessful the 3rd time around! :)

Anonymous said...

Please continue your blog!!

Bibiana