Monday, January 24, 2011

Chill Out With Winter Running

Living in the mid-Atlantic region, we truly experience all four seasons in all of their colorful, extreme, and wonderful extremes. And this week we have had the opportunity to experience one of most people’s least favorite extremes: freezing cold.

I am definitely in the camp that says bring on the cold but bring some big snowfalls with it. So far, the DC area has been in a snow bubble and has yet to see any significant snowfall this season. That is bad for getting out of work or school (boo!), but actually, it is quite good if you’re an athlete who likes to soak up the sunshine or fresh air while getting the weekly workouts done.

Now, I’m not going to talk about whether this weekend’s long run actually got done outside – or at all. You know how I like to keep my posts focused on the topic at hand and not digress (yeah right!) . What I will talk about is strategies for outside exercise when the temperatures drop.

There was a day not too long ago where I faithfully followed my own rule not to exercise outside once the temperature dropped below 50 degrees. Well, that feels like forever ago. It turns out that I was missing out. Once I figured out how to dress for the weather, I actually began to enjoy running in the cooler temps.

So my fair-weather-loving friends. Get out there and give it a try. You might find – like I did – that the lower temperatures can make for some of the best running weather. There are many benifits including the fact that you don’t have to worry as much about hydration (notice I said not as much versus not at all...even when it is cold you still need to hydrate). Another big benefit is that the trails are far less crowded,   Let’s not forget about the bragging rights that come with getting your 20-miler done when it is 30 degrees outside. Totally badass!

So, what do you wear when it cold outside? Well, my favorite rule – which applies year round - is that when you’re running it will feel like it is 20 degrees warmer than the real feel air temperature. So, if it is 40 degrees outside, wear what would feel comfortable for you walking outside in 60 degree weather. Got it?

Of course, it isn’t all that simple and you’ll have to experiment to figure out what works for you. My best advice would be to gradually acquire lots of thin, moisture-wicking layers than you can shed as you warm up. So, on a day like today, where it will be around 20 degrees when I head out to “lead” the team run this evening, I will likely wear 2-3 light long-sleeved tops, my fleece vest, smart wool socks, running tights, a thin running hat, and a pair of my treasured Brooks (pulse lite) running gloves. I might add a balaclava to keep my neck and face warm, but I usually find that I want to shed it after a little while. It is nice for the start of the run, though.

Some of my favorite items:


To tell the truth, I whined and cried about having to lead the team Monday-night run the last time it was this cold. I think the wind chill was around 12 degrees that day. I dreaded it all day and secretly hoped that no one would show up so I could just go back home.

As it turned out, a whole bunch of crazy people showed and after a few minutes of running I was pretty much toasty warm. My hands were still pretty cold, so I pulled my fingers out of my gloves and made fists inside my gloves thanks to my teammate Sarah's suggestion.  I think my next purchase will be a nice pair of running mittens. 

For more information on dressing for winter running, check out these links: 

If you have any questions or any good tips to add, please leave a comment. I really love comments! :)

No comments: