Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Zzzzzz

I have so much to blog about. I made a list during what we like to call my "sleep intermission" last night. Speaking of which, today I will write about sleep.

Sleep. Oh, sleep.

I have to think that at week 5 of my pregnancy, it is simply too early for my sleep patterns to be so messed up.  Perhaps this is just my body's way of training me for the inevitable sleep deprivation that will happen in 8 months. In any case, as someone who believes that sufficient sleep is the cornerstone of health, I am not too pleased with how things are going right now.

I realize that as the pregnancy progresses, sleep will become more and more - shall we say, challenging. But for heaven's sake, I am 5.5 weeks. This is nuts! Over the past week, most nights I find myself waking up (and staying awake) in the middle of the night. So frustrating.

I don't know what is going on. Saturday was pretty funny as I was so exhausted that I fell asleep while cheering for the sprint, then I slept through the entire pre-race talk, then I took a nap at the hotel. I was then out like a light by 8:15 (but then I was up from 1-3 am).

I love sleep. I believe in sleep. I am convinced that getting enough sleep is essential for maintaining one's health and it is a very high priority for me. Yes, I know this will soon change :). Here's hoping that I can get some good sleep between now and the due date. I know I'm really going to need it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cat -- I don't want to be a downer, but wanted to tell you you're not alone. I had pregnancy insomnia both times starting before I even knew I was pregnant. It drove me crazy, but the plus side was I slept so much better after the kids came and being woken up every 2 hours was no big deal because at least I was sleeping in between. Hang in there!
Jill