Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Shamrock Marathon Race Report – Yes I did!

Disclaimer: I do not recommend the IronCat training plan, or lack thereof. I haven’t decided if I am calling this my 2 ½ month taper plan or just plain stupid.

The real question is whether this was an effective approach or not. Do I undertrain next time or do I see what I can do at this fitness level with some good, consistent training?

Whatever it was that I did - or did not do - it worked. Not only did I pull off a 4 minute and 10 second personal record  -woo hoo!- but I actually feel better than I have ever felt after a marathon. I mean, really, that is just wacky, don’t you think?

The Deets

Let’s be honest; Although I was going for the medal and the overall finish, I went into this race hoping that I would finally break 4:30. My previous best time was 4:32:25 at the Philadelphia Marathon in 2007. I wanted to go under 4:30 at NY in 2008, but it just didn’t happen for me. 2009 was the Ironman year, so no marathons for me. It certainly wasn’t going to happen at Disney in 2010. [Oh, that was so fun!]

Normally, I feel like I run a race and have all of these experiences I can’t wait to share: funny conversations, observations, etc. This time around…I ran. I ran and I ran. I didn’t really talk to anyone other than Bob, who I ran with for a bit, or the Z-ers I occasionally leapfrogged. I didn't shout out my usual thank yous to the volunteers. I was totally focused on my form and my garmin.

Typically I am pretty good about pacing myself. I was aiming for running 9:45 miles, and walking 1 minute after each mile, for an average pace of 10:15. However, I was running a comfortable pace and for the first 10 miles or so everytime I looked down I was running a 9:30 pace. I couldn’t seem to slow myself down until I hit the headwind.

I crossed the half point at 2:11. I was pretty stoked about that. I imagined how awesome it would be to finish in 4:22.

At some point, my comfortable 9:30 pace became really difficult. I began running more of a 10:15-10:30 pace, and I had to constantly push myself to run faster. Surprisingly, running faster just wasn’t that much more difficult. It was a mental challenge as much as it was physical.

Around mile 20, the benefit of my experience became even more apparent when the pain really started. In the past I would yield to the aches, pains, and spasms I have known so well out of concern that failing to do so would result in injury or, you know, an amputation. However, having tortured myself in this manner many times before, I recognized the difference between discomfort and danger. There is a certain sense of pride and power in knowing that you can tune out your screaming legs and push yourself forward.

Nevertheless, the legs did try to fight me. About a mile later I was smoothly running along when my left quad spased in a way that caused me to scream out in pain. It was very clear that this was not something that could be completely ignored. I stopped, grabbed a traffic cone for balance, and stretched for 10 seconds or so. I massaged it with my thumbs and then I kept on moving. When it was time for my next walk break I considered that stopping might cause my muscle to seize up even more and decided to skip the walk break altogether.

From then on I constantly watched my pace on my garmin and pushed myself to run at least a 10:15 pace. It hurt like hell, but I was determined to cross that finish line under 4:30.

After seeing some wonderful friends cheering along the final stretch (thanks so much Julie for being there!), at 4:28:15, I crossed that finish line and heard the announcer call my name. I really couldn’t decide if I wanted to laugh or cry, and I couldn’t do either.

Post-race

It was great getting hugs from bunch of my teammates as I made my way to the post-race party. Shamrock has the best schwag of any race I’ve ever done. In addition to the cinch bag and long-sleeved tech tee you get at packet pickup, at the finish line you get a really nice medal, a hat, and a long-sleeved cotton finishers shirt. Then they try to hand you various food items and water, but who has enough hands for all of that?

I saw a few friends as I checked out the scene at the post-race party. Irish beef stew and beer just didn’t appeal to me then. Special thanks to Keith G. for offering to buy me some peanut butter cups.

I went back to the hotel to put on some warm clothes and started to notice that I didn’t feel nearly as bad as I have felt after most of my other races. I headed out to watch for the Knight, on whom my craziness rubbed off and who had decided the day before to join me in my insanity and run the marathon himself. What a pair we are!

He finished and we both enjoyed a good chuckle when, as he approached the finish line, one of our favorite teammates (who may have had a little too much to drink) yelled at him sweetly “Oli, you’re so sexy….I love you!” Another runner shouted to him, “I hope you know her” and he responded, “I’m just glad my wife knows her.” It was really cute. I have to agree with her…he is SO sexy. J

Almost two days later and I am sore but I feel awesome. What a way celebrate my birthday and bring in another year. I must be getting younger.

And for the record, yes, I did beat Oprah’s time (by one full minute).


3 comments:

Cady Snyder :: CMSDesignco said...

Cute! Congrats to a sexy couple :) Oh and beating Oprah is hard because she is a force with a team of peeps. Be very, very proud of yourself.

Twitchdoctor said...

Why is there no mention of the tutu? Obviously it wasn't all work and no play out there! Congratulations on the PR, and even bigger congratulations for exceeding your own expectations. The rest of us aren't at all surprised by your accomplishment!

Carla @ I Run, You Run said...

Congrats on the marathon! I wish I ran nearly as fast as you because it turns out we don't live that far from each other (I'm on Columbia Pike).

If you ever need running company, my running group definitely has faster people than me! (Uh, pretty much everyone.)