Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Shamrock?


I'm crazy. If you know me, or even if you've just read my blog, you know that already. I mean, just by virtue of the fact that I've run 7 marathons, and done a bunch of triathlons including an Ironman, you can pick up on that. I like to call it a "special kind of crazy."

What you might not know is that last October, while on a dream trip to St. Lucia, I was on the massage table when I decided - suddenly - that I needed to sign up for Shamrock and get another marathon under my belt.

I trained. It was going great! And then stuff happened. Some health stuff. Weather stuff. A bunch of other excuses cropped up. You know -  poor me, I'm going to be away in Vegas and Hawaii and I don't want to run 24 miles while I'm on my honeymoon. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

I decided that I would just do the Shamrock half instead. Good plan. Right?

Yeah, I thought so. That whole thing about the race being full and my need to run it "illegally" was only a small issue.

So this morning as I was getting ready for work and making a mental packing list for this weekend's quick trip my crazy brain took over. They say your body remembers the distance. So, what if I just go out there and run the marathon?

Am I crazy? Well, yeah.

My last long run was 21 miles on January 1st. Since then I've run at least 3-4 days/week, and my long runs have been 6-12 miles. Honestly, most of them have been closer to 6.

I am really undecided. My main reason for switching to the half is mainly obsolete right now, since I don't think that running a marathon on Sunday will have an impact on surgery in two weeks.

Yes, I'll be disappointed if I don't run it close to my usual time (4:30-4:45), but if I can get past that, it would be pretty cool to earn another (marathon) medal.

What do you think? Go for it or play it safe?

1 comment:

Melody said...

Do it. If you're healthy, you'll be fine. It will hurt, and really suck at times but you will finish. Remind me to tell you about my first marathon sometime!