Thursday, March 24, 2011

Thursday Thirteen: Recovery Edition

1. Feeling great - It is four days later and I feel fabulous. I felt pretty decent after the race and I just kept getting better. I feel like I could run another marathon tomorrow...

2. ...But I won't. And I won't run one on Saturday either. I'm fighting myself on this, but if nothing else, I just want to sleep late this weekend  - for the first time in forever.

3. My surgery is next Friday; I'm really fine with it. I'm more worried about not exercising for 3-4 weeks than I am about recovering from the surgery.

4. On the plus side, I'm really looking forward to vegging for a week. It will be nice to spend some time at home and not in the office.

5. For my birthday the Knight bought me an iPad (yes, he spoils me!). It is on its way and I absolutely cannot wait. I hope it gets here it time for me to play while I have the time.

6. On Tuesday I was walking into my office feeling like an idiot because I was doing the post-marathon hobble.  I crossed paths with a co-worker who just returned to the office after being away for 2+ years. He was volunteering with the post-Katrina recovery efforts when he was hit by a bus and then dragged down the street. I don't know much more than that but I believe he had one or both legs amputated and wears prosthetic legs and walks with a cane. I was walking a whole lot better than he is and it really put things in perspective.

7. Marathons make you hungry!

8. Alcis is awesome. It is a medicated lotion that is not smelly or greasy. We picked it up a couple of years ago at the NY Marathon expo, and have bought more on drugstore.com. It works. I am allergic to mint (which also means menthol and eucalyptus) so most of those bengay type products are out for me. T

9. Monday night I was scheduled to lead the run at PRR. I kept waiting for Coach Ed to see what seemed to me as an obvious error and cancel the run. But since that never came, I showed up anyhow. Fortunately, one of my teammates I'd had emailed but never met before and her current running regimen was just what I needed to warm up my muscles: 4 min walk: 2 minute run (around 13-14 min pace). It was so rewarding to speak with her and give her the support that we all need now and then.

10. A wise Knight once told me that it is just as important to hydrate after a race as it is before and during. It is easy to forget, but he is right.

11. Another great thing for recovery is light cardio like walking or the elliptical. It is really helpful to get your blood flowing through those muscles so they can heal themselves.

12. Chocolate is also very helpful. Okay, I'm making that up. But chocolate is good for everything and I am seriously chocolate deficient this week.

13. I can't wait to get out and race again. Why am I so addicted to the torture?

No comments: