Thursday, June 23, 2011

Thursday! Already?

Don’t you love it when weeks fly by? I certainly do. I had to check the calendar three times, but yup, it really is Thursday. Hooray!

When I thought about writing up a Thursday Thirteen, the first thing that came to mind was the trip I’m planning, so I might as well write about that since I am currently vacation-OBSESSED.

1.         As a cruise lover, I convinced the Knight to take a 3-night Disney cruise after the 2010 Disney Marathon and he was an instant convert.

2.         We both got spoiled by Disney. I finally understood the hype and why people would be willing to pay more for a Disney cruise. They definitely go the extra mile and it shows.

3.         When we started looking at fall vacations, taking a cruise was on the top of our list. I love researching travel and I came across a fabulous deal that I couldn't pass up.

4.         For around the same price as taking a 7-day Caribbean cruise on another cruise line, I found a 14-day transatlantic cruise on the Disney Magic that offered an incredible military discount (the Knight is a retired Naval Pilot). For a little more, we could have a balcony cabin.

5.         We decided to go for it.  Our final cost is roughly 81% off the brochure price, and roughly 55% lower than the best available price for the same cabin without the military discount. Disney doesn’t frequently offer the discounts, but when they do, they’re great.

6.         Airfare is almost as much as our cruise fare. Oh well.

7.         We’re getting a 14-day trip, which essentially includes all of our food and entertainment, for less than we paid for our 7-day vacation to St. Lucia last October. Score!

8.         I almost forgot. Our itinerary:

  • Barcelona
  • At Sea
  • Gibraltar (UK)
  • At Sea
  • Funchal, Madeira, Portugal
  • At Sea (x 5)
  • St. Maarten
  • Tortola, British Virgin Ilands
  • At Sea
  • Castaway Cay, Bahamas (Disney’s private island)
  • At Sea
  • Port Canaveral, FL

9.         Assuming that the upcoming embryo transfer sticks (it will!), I will just be entering my second trimester during the early part of our trip. It is excellent timing - I think.

10.       According to the online IVF due date calculator, a singleton baby will be due on 3/17/12 (my 37th birthday), or twins would be due on 2/23/12. Cool!

11.       Would it surprise you to know that I’ve pretty much finished my packing list?

12.       This trip will (potentially) be our last real vacation before baby. Wow!

13.       I am burning up all of my leave for this trip, so I am probably going to have to cheer for Ironman Arizona and Ironman Cozumel from afar. Sniff, sniff.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Sounds like a wonderful vacation and potential "babymoon" for you and the Knight! ENJOY!