Thursday, June 30, 2011

Thursday Thirteen: Favorite Eats

It will come as no surprise to those who know me to see me admit that I’m a foodie. While I generally dislike that term, it is the best word I know to describe that I like food and tend to plan around eating, think about eating much of the time, and generally enjoy everything that has to do with food.

This is not a new development. I think back to the 9th grade, when I was given the choice of a wide range of electives, and I chose “European Cooking.” It was a great course and I learned to make pasta from scratch. Life was never the same.

Going back even further, I remember the stories my mom loves to tell. She said that when you asked most young kids about their favorite food they would respond pizza. Apparently, my kindergarten teacher had never before had a child answer “artichokes.”

There is also a story about the day that my mom accidentally mixed up my sister and my tuna sandwiches and I refused to eat it my sister's sandwich because it didn’t have capers. True story. So yeah, it is clear that my love of food goes back pretty far.

Anyhow, I love to eat, so it is fortunate that I also love to run and I manage to force myself to work out most days. I also try to eat very healthfully at least 80% of the time, so when I want to enjoy a decadent meal, I can. Just not every day. 

Without further delay, here are my favorite foods that I’ve eaten out in local places the past year (in other words, this doesn’t count the many delicious foods I’ve enjoyed at home or on vacation)

  1. Stuffed Pepper Chicken (Hong Kong Palace, Falls Church)
  2. Seared Salmon Belly Nigiri (Kaz Sushi Bistro)
  3. Fleur de Sel Caramels (Artisan Confections)
  4. Prince Edward Island Mussels (Radius Pizza)
  5. Dark Chocolate Frozen Yogurt (Red Mango)
  6. Spicy Tuna Tartare in a Sesame-Miso Cone (The Source)
  7. Crispy Calamari with Yuzu Dip (The W Hotel/J&G Steakhouse)
  8. Cupcakes (Bakeshop)
  9. Creamed Spinach  (Ray’s the Steaks)
  10. Pan-fried Pork Dumplings (A&J)
  11. Vegetarian Platter (Etete)
  12. Dark Chocolate Mousse (Ray’s the Steaks)
  13. Lobster Burger (Central)

YUM! Right?

Here’s more info.

Stuffed Pepper Chicken (Hong Kong Palace, Falls Church)

Hong Kong Palace, or HKP as we call it, is by far the best Chinese restaurant I have ever been to. When you sit down they bring you two menus: one is the standard Americanized Chinese food that you’re used to seeing. It’s fine. The second is the authentic Szechuan menu and it is full of amazing dishes.

My favorite dish, the Stuffed Pepper Chicken, is actually not on either menu. It is on the specials wall in Chinese, and we’re told that it doesn’t really have an English translation (some call it Mouth Mouth) but to ask for the Stuffed Pepper Chicken.

II absolutely love this dish. Crunchy, Spicy, Sweet bits of dried peppers stuffed with a sesame mixture, combined with tender, juicy bits of fried chicken. The other top items that we love here: Cumin Lamb (or Cumin Ribs), Chengdu Salt & Pepper Shrimp, Yang Zhou Fried Rice (made with house-made bacon).

Seared Salmon Belly Nigiri with Soy-Lemon Sauce (Kaz Sushi Bistro)

I love sushi and one day I’m going test my theory that I could eat sushi every day and not get tired of it. My absolute favorite sushi bite in the area is the seared salmon belly at Kaz.


Fleur de Sel Caramels (Artisan Confections)

As you look at my list, you’ll see that I love chocolate; especially dark chocolate. If I had to pick one chocolate to eat for the rest of my life, it would be these – and I didn’t like caramel until recently. The Fleur de Sel caramels are little squares of soft, buttery caramel, covered in dark chocolate and lightly sprinkled with flakes of salt. Mouth-watering!



When (not if) you go to Artisan Confections, be sure to say hello to the owner (and my friend) Jason, and try the other wonderful flavors, too. You won’t be disappointed. The chocolates are really pretty, too, so they make good gifts. Yes, to me, but also to others.

Also, if you like salted chocolate type things, check out the Chocolate Salty Oak cookie at Teaism.

Prince Edward Island Mussels (Radius Pizza)

Here’s another thing I didn’t think I liked: mussels. But once I tasted Chef Wiss’ mussels, served in a tomato broth, I was hooked. These come with big pieces of toasted bread  - ciabatta, I believe - and a smoked paprika aioli. Mmmmmm.


I like to spread the aioli on the bread and top it with a few mussels. Heaven!. Unlike other mussels I’ve tried, these are plump and juice, and are not fishy. These are even better in the summer months when they use fresh tomatoes instead of canned.

I highly recommend checking out Radius Pizza. The pizza is amazing (we like the Ducati, and any special the chef has on the menu), but the real stars here are the specials. They change frequently and are almost always out of this world. You won’t believe what this guy does with soup. And pasta! I had a special pasta dish here before I PR’ed at the Shamrock marathon and I swear it helped. I will never forget those wide paparadelle noodles with house-made bacon and figs. Outstanding!

Dark Chocolate Frozen Yogurt (Red Mango)

When my friends recently asked me what I miss about living in Clarendon, my first answer was that I missed them. In a close second place was the ability to walk over to Red Mango on a whim. The frozen yogurt here is like nothing else I’ve tasted. It is so intensely flavorful. Another plus is that it is made with all natural ingredients. Out of all the flavors I enjoy, dark chocolate is my top pick. The toppings here are great, too. Why not have some ghiradelli dark chocolate mini chips on your yogurt? Or some mochi or popping boba? You’ll have to go there to find out what those are. They also have a ton of delicious fresh fruit options and ordinary candy/cereal.



Wolfgang Puck’s only DC restaurant , The Source, is a hit with me. In my opinion, the best item on the menu is the tuna cones. A wonderful combination of spicy, sweet, tender, salty and crunchy. I just wish they weren’t so pricey.

If you’re a tuna tartare fan, also check out the tuna sliders at PS7’s. They’re awesome as well.

Crispy Calamari with Yuzu Dip (The W Hotel/J&G Steakhouse)

If you like calamari, you need to try the calamari at the W. It is battered with an incredibly light coating (almost like tempura, but better). It served with a delightful dipping sauce that tastes like whipped mayonnaise doused with the essence of citrus. The chilies in there don't hurt, either. Just wonderful.




Cupcakes (Bakeshop)

Oh, cupcakes! I love cupcakes! I know that not everyone understands the trend, but what’s not to get? Most cupcakes are a perfect size for an individual serving and offer the ideal ratio of frosting to cake. Yes, I’ve done a cupcake tour where I have gone around to many different shops to compare the goods. I have a lot of favorites, but the best shop overall is definitely Bakeshop.

I admit that Bakeshop's frosting isn’t my favorite. I like sweeter, denser toppings on my cake. However, the whole package here is just right. The cake is the moistest, most flavorful cake around, and Justin’s frosting perfectly complements his cakes. This guy knows what he's doing. I can’t even pick a favorite flavor because they’re all so good. He also offers a range of other baked goodies, but you really can’t go there and not have a cupcake.

As a side note, also in Clarendon (next door to Red Mango, actually), is Crumbs. Their cupcakes are big and pretty and have cool names. Compared to Bakeshop, however, they are totally tasteless. Please, please, please - if you're in Clarendon, walk down Fillmore Street to Bakeshop (and Artisan, next door to Bakeshop) and don't waste your money or calories at Crumbs. Thank you.

Creamed Spinach (Ray’s the Steaks)

My mom once referred to the creamed spinach at Ray’s as “spinach to a higher power” and if you taste it you’ll know what she means. I like to challenge people who say they don’t like spinach to try this spinach, and so far all of the spinach haters have been converted. It is just that good! Not heavy or gloppy; just creamy, simple, and flavorful. The best part is that it is free (along with mashed potatoes) with all entrees. No, wait, the best part is that they frequently (though not always) include some extra creamed spinach with your leftovers.

Pan-fried Pork Dumplings (A&J - Annandale)

A&J in Annandale (they also have a Rockville location) is a total hole in the wall and off the beaten path. It features a range of dim sum items, which are available all the time, and not just at special hours like most places. It is a bargain, too. The item I order every time is the pan-fried dumplings. Unlike what you’d expect, they are long and thin, and frequently stick together. They aren’t served with a sauce, so you can mix up the condiments on the table to taste (I like the vinegar, soy sauce and chili peppers).



Vegetarian Platter (Etete)

If you think you don’t like Ethiopian food, I urge you to give it another try. Go try a vegetarian platter and then tell me that you are not in love with this cuisine. The basis of Ethiopian food is the bread, called injera. It is spongy, sourdough-like bread that resembles crepes. You tear off pieces and use it to scoop up the food.

What comes on the vegetarian platters varies between restaurants, and often at the same restaurants on different days. At a minimum you’ll usually find some kind of split peas, greens, potatoes and carrots, tomato salad. It is a rainbow of deliciousness.

My favorite local Ethiopian restaurant is Etete. Meaza is close to my new house and is good, but inconsistent.

Dark Chocolate Mousse (Ray’s the Steaks)

Yes, another item from Ray’s the Steaks. One day I’m going to go there and just order spinach and mousse. Okay, maybe I’ll get a side of mac and cheese, too. Seriously though, this is the most phenomenal chocolate mousse I’ve ever had. They also offer milk chocolate and white chocolate varieties, but for me, of course, dark is the way to go.

I know I should be raving about the steaks at Ray’s; it is of course their feature item. Don’t get me wrong, I love the steaks here more than I love steak anywhere else, but I think I naturally lean towards being a vegetarian or pescetarian. Is there such a thing as a chocolatarian?

Lobster Burger (Central)

a bunch of chopped lobster meat compressed into a patty. It is more like two lobster tails intertwined and slapped on a delicious bun with a buttery potato tuille. It is a bit pricey, but totally worth the occasional splurge.





In case you’re wondering, I am always available to accompany anyone who would like to try these, or any other, delicacies.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you about Prince Edward Island mussels, they are amazing! My family actually vacationed there when I was 13 and we fell in love with the mussels! I also agree that Justin's cupcakes are far superior to Crumbs! I think Crumbs dupes you on how much frosting there is -- the cupcakes are huge and the ratio of frosting to cake is totally off!

Anonymous said...

The anonymous comment was from Liz Speck -- for some reason I can't comment with my google account!

RoKa said...

I wantttttttt everything! I love Ray's but I really think YogenFruz is better fro yo - you can have them make any flavor you want with fresh fruit! Delish.

Also (in relation to a previous post) - if you come over to Eastern Market, we will go to 7th on the Hill - great Pizza!

Hope you're doing well. :-)